Re: apt4rpm or yum

On 16 May 2003, Warren Togami wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 19:31, Mark Guzzo wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't know if you noticed but both of those sites support both apt AND
> > > yum.
> > >
> > > so there is no need to choose.
> > >
> > > -sv
> > >

> > Yes I know, I just wanted to know which one a person like better and
> > why. Kind of like GNOME and KDE, they are both desktops but I have
> > reasons why I like Gnome better.
> >
> > I don't what this to become a flame war.
> >
> > >From the fedora web site it says that yum is built to handle rpms, while
> > apt4rpm is a "work around".
> >

> Huh?  We certainly didn't write that.  (If we did, please provide the
> URL.)  apt and yum are roughly equivalent in doing everything.  We
> really don't care which you use.  I personally use both every day.

On top of that, technically neither Fedora nor Freshrpms distributes
"apt4rpm" which is more a SuSe related version of apt-rpm including
shell-script wrapping to make for easier CLI in some ways, both F*
distribute straight apt-rpm port "as is" with a couple of patches to tweak
this and that.

As for apt vs yum, both have something the other one doesn't. Matter of
taste and feature requirements.

	- Panu -