Re: duplicated packages - was:Re: kernel 2.4.20-13.9 and apt problems?

On 17 May 2003, Klaasjan Brand wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 17:07, Bob Arendt wrote:
> > Since this is a RPM database anomally, you might try something like:
> >     rpm -e --allmatches --justdb ximian-wallpapers
> >
> > Then add the info back:
> >     rpm -U ximian-wallpapers*.rpm
> >
> > .. and you can use the --justdb flag on the reinstall/update if
> > you want save some disk cycles.  If this happened with a more
> > highly connected package (like glibc), frugal use of the --nodeps
> > flag would permit the erase operation.
> >
> > -Bob Arendt
>
> Right on. I've removed the duplicate package (wasn't using it anymore,
> but didn't read the manual page about allmatches to remove it ;)
> Now I can run (with a workaround) rpm --rebuilddb, I've got no stale
> locks, no duplicate packages but apt-get update still hangs :(
> Since the system has been updated from RH7.2->7.3->9.0 I guess some db
> must be a bit fuzzy, so next time I'll install from scratch...

No, that's really just a bug in apt AFAICT, nothing to do with
upgrade/fresh install. BTW you don't have to use rpm -e --allmatches, you
can just say 'rpm -e <name-version-release>' to get rid of an older
package. The only case you need --allmatches is when you somehow manage to
get several same version-release packages into rpmdb (and yes, it does
occasionally happen)

	- Panu -