Re: apt4rpm or yum

Panu Matilainen wrote :

> On top of that, technically neither Fedora nor Freshrpms distributes
> "apt4rpm" which is more a SuSe related version of apt-rpm including
> shell-script wrapping to make for easier CLI in some ways, both F*
> distribute straight apt-rpm port "as is" with a couple of patches to
> tweak this and that.

Hmmmm, I think everyone's gotten that one wrong :-(

1) First there is apt, with its rpm port, often called "apt-rpm"
2) Second there is apt4rpm, which is a set of perl scripts to help maintain
an apt server of rpm files

I keep telling Richard Bos (the apt4rpm creator) that it was a bad choice
to name his project like that, but it's a bit late now anyway ;-)

So if you want to not confuse people, try to refer to the above as :
1) apt, apt for rpm, apt ported to rpm, apt-rpm
2) apt4rpm, the apt4rpm server project

> As for apt vs yum, both have something the other one doesn't. Matter of
> taste and feature requirements.

Want my go on that one?

- I use yum when : My apt is stuck or has a messy sources.list file
- I use apt when : I just broke my rpm python bindings by upgrading either
one of python or rpm

Hehe ;-)

Matthias

Raw Hide 20030511 running Linux kernel 2.4.20-13.9
Load : 0.48 0.53 0.45