Re: starting and stopping samba

On 5/15/2003 at 3:21 PM William Hooper wrote:

>Shane C Branch said:
>[snip]
>>>Can't help you with that, because I've always had DNS and/or WINS to do
>>>name resolution.  If you are using broadcasts I believe that it takes a
>>>maximum of 12 minutes to get on the browse list.  Are you talking about
>>> on
>>>the local machine?  For example:
>>>
>>>[whooper@xxxxxxxx ~] $ smbclient -L myserver
>>
>> Yes, I was running the command on the local machine. When I try to login
>> to a
>> share from a windows client, I am just repeatedly prompted for user name
>> and
>> password. Also, doing net view \\servername from the windows box reports:
>> system error 5 has occurred, access is denied
>[snip]
>
>That sounds like either the "encrypt passwords" setting is wrong in your
>smb.conf, or you haven't set up the samba users correctly.  See "man
>smbpasswd".

encrypt passwords is set to yes, it's set to synch with system passwords.
smbusers has a valid entry for the name i have been using to try and connect,
but i still get refused. so i turned off encrypted pw and set my windows box to
send clear text, and it still didn't work.

i did read that man file, but it didn't help much.

i would really like it to use encrypted pw and also have it sync to system
accounts. i also have to set up a website on there that must be pw protected,
and some of those users will need access to samba shares. i want to make the
administration as painless as possible, without compromising too much security.

regards,

shane.