Re: starting and stopping samba

Shane C Branch said:

>>OK, more accurately nmbd is starting enough to give you the [OK} then
>>dying.
>
> Odd. this time the stop registered an [OK] for both smbd and nmbd, after I
> edited smb.conf and commented out the interfaces line

Good to hear.  A Google search suggests this, so maybe there is bug that
shows up when using interfaces?

>>Sorry, I assumed you were trying to use Samba only on the internal
>>interface.  What happens if you comment this line out and let Samba
>> figure
>>it out?
>
> Running smbclient -L servername is still failing, but at least it looks
> like
> both pieces started.

Can't help you with that, because I've always had DNS and/or WINS to do
name resolution.  If you are using broadcasts I believe that it takes a
maximum of 12 minutes to get on the browse list.  Are you talking about on
the local machine?  For example:

[whooper@xxxxxxxx ~] $ smbclient -L myserver

>>BTW - Hiding the IPs just makes it a pain to troubleshoot, for all I know
>>you have 192.168.0.1/24 192.168.0.2/20...
>
> The IPs are different. The internal one is 192.168.1.4, but I'd rather not
> reveal the external one. I will say it is on a class a address with a 20
> bit
> mask. Also, I'm pretty confident that line is formatted correctly, so the
> actual address shouldn't matter. They are two completely different schemes
> on
> two completely different networks. But as the interfaces line is currently
> commented out, it shouldn't really matter.

[insert dicussion of the evils of running smb on the internet...]
--
William Hooper