Re: starting and stopping samba

Shane C Branch said:

[snip]
> I get that they are part of the same script, and yes that does make
> sense, but
> only if they both start and stop when I direct smb to do so. For some
> reason
> nmbd is failing to stop.

Because it sounds like it is failing to start.

> I checked /var/log/samba, and the log.nmbd file records this error:
> failed to open nmb socket on interface x.x.x.x for port 137. error was
> cannot
> assign requested address
>
> This machine has two eth cards, one for external traffic and one for
> internal
> traffic.

An important piece of information that wasn't originally included.

> The interal address does not appear in the log as part of the
> error.

Have you looked at the "interfaces" parameter in smb.conf?
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html#INTERFACES

> also:
>
> error: failed when creating subnet lists. exiting.
>
> There were a few messages in there claiming that nmbd successfully
> started.

In the future please post what the log says, not an interpretation of it.
Something that may not seem important could be the key.

[snip]
--
William Hooper