Re: Pick one: blender

Op zo 11-05-2003, om 13:01 schreef Klaasjan Brand:
> On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 06:06, Tino Meinen wrote:
> > Op zo 11-05-2003, om 03:35 schreef Tino Meinen:
> > > Which application, in your opinion, should definately be added to the
> > > next Red Hat?
> > My own pick: Blender.
> > Now that it's been GPLd, I think it should be included.
> > It's actively beeing developed. (version 2.27 coming in a few weeks)
>
> I really don't think that would be a good choice. Since blender's
> learning curve is rather steep I think the majority of Red Hat users
> will find it's of no use to them (even if they want to get their hands
My opinion is that an application that offers people the opportunity to
create wonderful things would somewhat nullify the steep learnig curve
argument. Every 3D modelling/animation package has a steep learning
curve.
I think people always use only a small fraction of the software offered
by a distribution, and the other software is of little or no use to
them. But different people use different fractions of the total offered.

> on 3d modelling tools). Also, it doesn't really fit in the business
> desktop / server profile Red Hat seems to have.
Do you mean that things like games should be deleted from the
distribution to make the desktop/server profile Red Hat seems to have
more consistent?
As a side note: there are lot's of businesses making good use of
blender.

> But why does anyone seem to want their favorite tool in the distro btw
I rebut:
Why should one not want to have their favorite tool in one's favorite
distro?

> There are RH9  rpm's for blender (and loads of other apps) available to
> install for anyone who feels like it.
Do I understand correctly that you opt for a minimalistic distribution
where people can choose to install the applications they want later on?

--Tino Meinen