Re: Sendmail and squirrelmail

> Umm - What is a smarthost?  One that isn't dumb? :-)
>
> Sorry 'bout that.  A Smarthost is a mail relay which
> is able to send your
> mail onto its proper destination.  If you are a
> dial-up user or if you
> are a residential user of a DSL or cable connection
> you probably have a
> dynamically allocated IP address.  A good solution
> for this situation is
> to use your ISP's smtp relay to route all your
> outgoing mail.  This is
> one of the times when you use the smarthost option.
>
> If you have a static IP then you can safely set up
> your system to deliver
> your mail directly to its destination.  This means
> not using the smarthost
> option.
>

> Note - while using your ISP's mail relay service is
> convenient there are
> drawbacks, for example, Your ISP will typically
> restrict how many emails per
> hour you are allowed to send out, and how quickly
> they can follow one another.
>
> This drawback is balanced out by the fact that many
> large ISP's such as
> Comcast and AOL (The two largest in the world, I
> think.) will not accept
> direct email connections from known dynamically
> allocated IP addresses
> regardless of whether any SPAM has ever come from
> that address.  So if you
> have a dynamic IP, you may have to go with your
> ISP's mail relay.
>
> (Unless you want to use the sendmail "mailertable"
> feature to configure
> special handling for those ISP's domains who will
> not allow a direct
> connection....... )
>

> --
> Jeff Kinz,

??? ok.. I'm confused (sorry about making so many
questions), but I have a dyn ip. I dont use a
"smarthost," and everything seems ok. Now, my question
is.. what drawbacks do I have again? everything seems
to work well. I have an account at dyndns.org, and i
can receive and send emails. It seems everything is
working, but I have been using this configuration for
only 4 or 5 days. should I worry about it?

thanks,
Rigo