Re: Sendmail and squirrelmail

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 03:17:47PM -0700, Rigoberto de la Cruz wrote:
> > Hi Rigoberto,
> > Here is an example sendmail.mc.  It does not allow
> > any external relaying.
> >
> > It uses a smarthost based at a Cable ISP for all
> > mail routing.
>

> thanks Jeff, I was looking for an example on how to
> configure sendmail to not allow external relays. Now I
> have another question, what is a "smarthost"??

Umm - What is a smarthost?  One that isn't dumb? :-)

Sorry 'bout that.  A Smarthost is a mail relay which is able to send your
mail onto its proper destination.  If you are a dial-up user or if you
are a residential user of a DSL or cable connection you probably have a
dynamically allocated IP address.  A good solution for this situation is
to use your ISP's smtp relay to route all your outgoing mail.  This is
one of the times when you use the smarthost option.

If you have a static IP then you can safely set up your system to deliver
your mail directly to its destination.  This means not using the smarthost
option.

Note - while using your ISP's mail relay service is convenient there are
drawbacks, for example, Your ISP will typically restrict how many emails per
hour you are allowed to send out, and how quickly they can follow one another.

This drawback is balanced out by the fact that many large ISP's such as
Comcast and AOL (The two largest in the world, I think.) will not accept
direct email connections from known dynamically allocated IP addresses
regardless of whether any SPAM has ever come from that address.  So if you
have a dynamic IP, you may have to go with your ISP's mail relay.

(Unless you want to use the sendmail "mailertable" feature to configure
special handling for those ISP's domains who will not allow a direct
connection....... )

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@xxxxxxxx
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an