Re: RBL blocking of rogers.com valid user e-mail addresses?

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:51:21AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 5 May 2003, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> > Why am I telling you this? Because the mail that I get from Red Hat lists
> > routinely contains this stuff. I really have to question the quality of
> > the guy (again) who admins the mail at Red Hat.

I'm sure he/she is a quality person, just very busy.

> there are some trivial changes regarding RH mailing lists that would
> solve one of the more annoying problems -- people trying to
> unsubscribe and driving the rest of us freaking bonkers.
>
> first, any posting with a simple variation on the word "unsubscribe"
> should be returned to the sender with detailed instructions on how
> to do that.  (actually, i thought that had already been done, but
> as i still see such messages, apparently, it hasn't.  at least, not
> thoroughly reliably.)

Hi Robert,
Actually, yes- this is being done. I set this up (with permission)
on the RedHat install list quite a long time ago, expanded it to the
RedHat general list, made sure its only sent out once to each person,
(discovered that only once doesn't work for lots of "people"), set it back
to go out every time.

Then added the RH8 and RH9 lists as well as OS:N and k12OSN.

By and large it is pretty successful, but there are a few people who
still can't follow the instructions.

Also it only responds to "unsubscribe" being in the subject line.
(and misspellings of unsubscribe).

I discovered that there are many legitimate reasons to use the word
unsubscribe in an email body posted to the lists and that most of those
emails are not coming from people who want to unsubscribe so I
removed the filter which looked at the body of the email.

The RH install list get the largest number of these requests, many times
more than RH general which comes in second.  All the other lists get
almost none on a comparative basis.

Also - you are absolutely right about the changes you are suggesting.
They (or things similar to them) have been suggested to the admins
in the past and only small changes were made.  I'd say keep suggesting
it to them, eventually they may be swayed.  Send the suggestions
in to the "admin" email address for the lists you are targeting.