Re: RBL blocking of rogers.com valid user e-mail addresses?

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Steven W. Orr wrote:

... snip ...

> Why am I telling you this? Because the mail that I get from Red Hat lists
> routinely contains this stuff. I really have to question the quality of
> the guy (again) who admins the mail at Red Hat.

there are some trivial changes regarding RH mailing lists that would
solve one of the more annoying problems -- people trying to
unsubscribe and driving the rest of us freaking bonkers.

first, any posting with a simple variation on the word "unsubscribe"
should be returned to the sender with detailed instructions on how
to do that.  (actually, i thought that had already been done, but
as i still see such messages, apparently, it hasn't.  at least, not
thoroughly reliably.)

also, the trailer on postings should not just say "email list management
information".  it should also include the phrase "INCLUDING HOW TO
UNSUBSCRIBE" or some such thing.

and the actual web page for membership management should make it
*way* clearer how to unsubscribe, not leave the entry buried at
the bottom.

while, technically, all the info you need to unsubscribe is at the
bottom of every posting, the fact that so many people still have
trouble with it makes it abundantly clear that it could be presented
in a much better way.

rday