Re: Failed attempt at rebuilding RPM database

On Sat, 3 May 2003 14:41:57 +0100 (BST)
M A Young <m.a.young@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 May 2003, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>
> > Hello, Everyone :)
> > When I attempt to rebuild my corrupted RPM database, following the
> > following instructions that I got off the Red Hat 8 list: ...
>
> What makes you think the database is corrupted? Not all errors are the
> result of corruption (in particular rpm --rebuilddb issues a harmless
> db4 error even when it works correctly).

Hello, Michael :)
The reason I think that my database is corrupt is that when I try to run
rpm -Fvh on an rpm (let's say an official Red Hat 9 update), I only get
what seems to be a complete list of dependencies, which is really odd,
because when I installed Red Hat 9, I chose to install all 1390+
packages.  Also, I tried this experiment: I ran (as root) rpm -e on a
package that I know for sure I had installed with an RPM, and also that
I know IS currently installed (because I ran the application immediately
before my experiment) and there was absolutely no result whatsoever.  No
error message, nothing.  Not only that, but just to make sure, after I
ran rpm -e krename with no apparent result, I tried running "krename"
and it was still installed.  Also, when I run rpm -qa on packages that I
know Red Hat installed as RPM's, I get absolutley no response, which
usually means that a package isn't installed.  For example, rpm -qa
kernel informs me that I have no kernel installed :)

If this gives you any ideas, feel free to let me know :)

Steven P. Ulrick