Failed attempt at rebuilding RPM database

Hello, Everyone :)
When I attempt to rebuild my corrupted RPM database, following the
following instructions that I got off the Red Hat 8 list:

To free a stuck database;
1. Make sure there are no processes trying to access the rpm database
(such as rpm, up2date, redhat-config-packages)
2. Remove the rpm lock files, rm /var/lib/rpm/__db* .
 Rebooting will do stages 1. & 2. automatically (2. is done in the
startup
scripts). In many cases these are enough to free the stuck database. If
there are still problems;
3. Take a safety copy of the database, in case things go wrong. (eg.
cp -r /var/lib/rpm /var/lib/rpm.copy ).
4. Try rebuilding the database (from the Packages data file) by running
rpm --rebuilddb .
 If the database still doesn't work, and the db4-utils package was
installed;
5. Run cd /var/lib/rpm; db_verify Packages . This checks the underlying
data format of this file.
6. If there are errors, you can rebuild the Packages file from the good
records by running
cp Packages Packages.orig; db_dump Packages.orig | db_load Packages
and repeat step 4.
 There is a good reference for this procedure at
http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb/

	Michael Young

I get the following result when I do step 6 (I'm omitting step five from
this message, as it just proved that my RPM db was hosed:
db_dump: region error detected; run recovery.
db_dump: Packages-ORIG: unsupported hash version: 8
db_dump: open: Packages-ORIG: Invalid argument

I also tried the instructions, almost the same as the above
instructions, that Jeff Johnson from Red Hat gave:
http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb/

A quick question: I hear a lot about upgrading to the version of RPM
that is at people.redhat.com/jbj/test-4.1
Would upgrading have anything to do with reparing my database?  Wouldn't
I just have a new version of RPM, but with a corrupt database?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated :)
Steven P. Ulrick