Re: Professional Programmers Opinion

On 15:53 24 Jun 2003, Bill Gradwohl <bill@xxxxxxx> wrote:
| Are there any professional Programmers on this list?

I'm an amateur.

| In particular, I'm a C/C++ bigot looking for someone to help convince me to become a Java bigot instead. 8-)

Type safety.
Platform GUI portability. Hell, plain old platform portability!
No overt memory management. (No malloc/free/new/dispose.) So no dangling
    pointers etc. And of course type casting checks at runtime, array bounds
    checks at runtime, etc etc.
Simpler than C++ (single inheritance, no templates). I like that, but if
    you're a C++ bigot you will find this a minus maybe.

Of course, I'm an anal retentive Computer Science trained guy, so I like
the compiler to have as many hooks for telling me what I've forgotten
as possible. And thus welcome some of the hoop jumping.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of
himself.  Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?
        - Thomas Jefferson