Re: Clarification

On Friday 20 June 2003 15:45, Tony Graham wrote:
> 2 IDE drives on standard IDE channels on the mobo.
> No hardware RAID involved.  I am using the default software RAID
> tools that come with RedHat 9.  What I have done is install RH9 onto
> a single IDE drive.  Then add a second device on the second IDE
> channel.  I create a raiidtab file with /dev/hda and /dev/hdc as
> devices belonging to the array /dev/md0. Then I run mkraid /dev/md0.
> This creates the /dev/md0 array.
>
> The RAID arrays are initialized by default (as far back as RH7) in
> the rc.sysinit script with the usage of the raidstart command.  With
> a defined raidtab file, raidstart automatically reinits the raidarray
> at each boot.
>
> Here is my fstab and my raidtab:  I'm not trying to get religious on
> the issue, I just want some confirmation on whether this definition
> is correct for an RH9 configuration.  Obviously someone thought it
> was important to include the fstab checking in the sysinit for RH9.
> I commented this code out on my RH9 box because I could not
> understand what it was looking for and the code did not exist on my
> RH7 box which seems to function with the this exact same
> configuraion.

> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
>   1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
>   1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts
> gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
>   0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
>   0 0
> /dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults
>   0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
> noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

> raiddev /dev/md0
>         raid-level      1
>         nr-raid-disks   2
>         nr-spare-disks  0
>         persistent-superblock 1
>         device          /dev/hda
>         raid-disk       0
>         device          /dev/hdc
>         raid-disk       1

You still haven't shown us how/where/when you mount this /dev/md0 device.  I
think I see what you are doing, and you're mounting one partition directly,
expecting the raid modules to mirror anything you write to one disk over to
the other.  For that matter, since when do you mirror entire disks (/dev/hda)
rather than partitions (/dev/hda1)?  In all my experience w/ software raid
you must create the linux raid autodetect partitions, then define these
partitions in /etc/raidtab to be raided together.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: