Re: IBM Laptop & RH9?

Am Son, 2003-06-08 um 21.45 schrieb Colburn:
> For the sake of all of us who are looking for a decent RH9-compatible
> laptop which IBM laptop are you using, please?

I just got a brand new Thinkpad T40p (type 2373), the centrino based
model. According to the IBM web site RH9 should install, but that's only
partly true.

RH 9 installed without problems, the display was not recignized
correctly but could bi corrected. Everything works but the build in wlan
(currently no driver available).

Video problem (no accel with install kernel, due to an AGP prob) is
corrected by the current update kernel (2.4.20-18.9).

Remaining problem: ACPI is not supported by RH 9 yet. While not using
the system after some time the display is turned off, you can turn it on
again by just hitting a key - usually. It does not work with RH 9, yet,
the display remains in its power saving mode. A workaround is to close
the LCD cover, wait some seconds and re-open it. The LCD is turn on by
some hardware mechanism. All the ACPI based power saving methods of the
centrino is not available, therefore the battery drains empty in quite a
short time (approx. 3-4 hrs instead of about 6).

The hardware design of that model is not as good as the one of my older
thinkpads. The pcmcia slots are on the left side near the front, if you
use a card with cables it's odd. The fan outlet is at the same place, if
you put your hand besides your laptop - its hot.

But otherwise it's a very nice machine. I hope Red Hat will enable ASPI
asap. Mandrake and SuSE work fine with the T40p.

Peter