Re: Networking Help

On Saturday 07 June 2003 09:11, edwarner99@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've read as many books as I can but still a little
> confused about what to put where. I have several
> questions so bare with a new person here.
> The Linux box connected to the Cayman 3546 (this is a
> 4 port hub as well) will get an IP address from my
> ISP, and be assigned in the 192.168 range. I've turned
> off the LAN side and want to use Linux as the DHCP
> server for the windows boxes.
>
> See picture at http://209.151.74.115/pic/lan.jpg

Very nice. I don't know all the answers, but I know enough to get into
trouble. Maybe an expert can bail us out.

> 1. What would be the bare minimum entries into
> dhcp.conf?
> After reading several pieces on dhcp.conf, this what I
> think I need based on using a different range of
> private addresses starting with 10.0.0.1:
>
> ddns-update-style interim;
> ignore client-updates;
>
> subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>
> option routers 10.0.0.1;
> option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;

Is 10.0.0.1 the address of the gateway machine (the one connected to the
router?)

> option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>
> range dynamic-bootp 10.0.0.200 10.0.0.210;
> default-lease-time 21600;
> max-lease-time 43200;
>
> #Set name server to appear at a fixed address
> host ns {
> hardware ethernet 00:09:5B:1F:37:94;

You'll need to assign IP address and optionally, a hostname, for this machine
here.

> }
> }

Don't forget "service dhcpd restart" after you change the conf file.

> 2. Can the Linux box have a host name or just
> "localhost"?

You should assign a hostname to the DHCP server. Go to /etc/sysconfig/network
and change it there. You can keep localhost if you like, but it will confuse
the heck out otf you.

> 3. The manual talks about the dhcpd.conf being in the
> /etc directory. Mine is in /etc/log.d/conf/services Is
> this right?

Nope. I think it should be in the /etc/ directory as well. That log.d entry
seems to be for log rotation. Are you sure you got dhcpd rpm installed? Is
your system fresh?

> In short, I'm looking for the absolute bare minimum to
> get this working.
>
> I know these are basic questions to some of you, but
> to me this is black magic.

Hey, the important thing is that you are learning. I was in your shoes a while
ago.

Go peruse tldp.org 's guides. There is a great one on network administration.
Go read about DHCP, and anything else you are weak on. Come back and start
digging through man pages. Study them like you (should have / have) studied
calculus. Each sentence is important, and nothing can be miusunderstood.

Also, be sure to read through the relevant log files on both the client and
server side, to see what is going on. Check out your firewall. Log rejected
packets on both ends, see if something is getting lost due to that.

- --
Jonathan Gardner <jgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
(was jgardn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Live Free, Use Linux!