Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 11:04:10 -0700
From: Joe <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Networking Help

Joe Polk wrote:

>The real question is why are you going to use Linux
for DHCP?

Probably several reasons -

1. to learn
2. linux is more flexible than the barebones cayman

>>1. What would be the bare minimum entries into
>>dhcp.conf?
>>After reading several pieces on dhcp.conf, this what
>>think I need based on using a different range of
>>private addresses starting with 10.0.0.1:

Or 192.168.0. or 172.16.0.1

>>2. Can the Linux box have a host name or just
>>"localhost"?

That would be lame - even if its going to be
standalone, without any network connection

If it's on the network, give it a name - unix
servers want to be able to resolve names
forward and backward for the most part.

>>3. The manual talks about the dhcpd.conf being in
the
>>/etc directory. Mine is in /etc/log.d/conf/services
Is
>>this right?

Huh?

Where in the world did

    /etc/log.d/conf/services

come from?

/etc/dhcpd.conf is the pathname of the config file

Other than that I don't see any major
issues with your config.

Joe