Re: RH9 Printer Sharing Problem

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, John Meagher wrote:
> Thanks Chris.
> I kind of suspected that, but the whole printing business is
> so complex my first suspicion is always that I've configured
> something wrong.  I should have checked.
>
> I was able to get around the problem, at least for practical
> purposes, with the Printer System Switcher GUI tool.
> One click and CUPS is history and you're back in business
> with lprng.
>
> I would really like to find a good explanation somewhere
> of how all this stuff fits together.  Linuxprinting.org is a start,
> but they don't cover the distribution specific hacks very well.
> The Red hat docs treat it all from the gui level now.  Short of
> studying the source and scripts, is there any up-to-date howto
> covering what goes on in, and troubleshooting of,  Red Hat
> printing?

At least for CUPS, linuxprinting.org pretty much covers it. Just click on
the CUPS Docs links under Foomatic. Red Hat's print system is
CUPS+Foomatic+ghostscript with optional additional drivers from gimp-print
and others. Figuring out how that mess works together is interesting but
not specific to Red Hat. The redhat-config-printer stuff mostly automates
futzing with configuration and PPD files, and there is some trickery with
symlinks so LPRng and CUPS can coexist.

Linux printing has improved quite a bit, thanks to CUPS and the like.
There was a time when being able to specify printer-aware duplex,
resolution, quality or dithering options from a dialog box would be only a
dream under Linux.

Chris