Re: Shrike-list digest, Vol 1 #473 - 12 msgs

>Subject: RH9 Shrike in Schools & Laptops
>From: Colburn <kd4e@xxxxxxxx>
>To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Date: 07 Jun 2003 11:04:09 -0400
>
>Anyone on the list actively involved with the activity the RH9 Linux
>activities in the Oregon schools?  http://www.k12ltsp.org/
>
>This looks like an awesome model that we all should recommend to our
>local and Statewide school systems.  Sure would help to slow the growth
>of taxes toward education and prepare our children with a more diverse
>knowledge of computers.
>
>Yes, I know, M$ & Apple will fight the spread of this tooth and nail but
>so what?
>
>I couldn't find any reference to laptops on their site.  I have yet to
>find a short list of 100% compatible 1GHz CPU-based laptops anywhere,
>the usual lists are filled with "maybe's".  Perhaps the K12Linux folks
>have not been able to find 100% compatible laptops either.
>
>doc

You're not likely to find discussion of laptops on that project, unless it is discussion of using them as terminals.  The K12ltsp project is a terminal server project.  Their aim is to replace servers in schools and allow school to use cheap terminals to serve their educational technology needs.  It is a fantastic project.
I have been using their software for over a year and distribute it from School-Library.net, but I have OS X on my laptop, still.  I don't see how Apple or M$ could fight this project.  It's great software, it works, it's free...duh!
The community around that project is awesome, too.  Very helpful and patient, even, with newbies like me.

This shouldn't have any bearing on taxes for education, but should free up some money within schools for more worthwhile things than padding Gates' wallet, like paying teachers. (Don't start...I'm a teacher.  I work 70-80 hours a week and make less money than I did waiting tables part-time in college.  My family lives in subsidized housing...and this is in CT one of the top states for teacher salaries.)

tony b

http://www.School-Library.net
Freedom to Learn!

School-Library.net