Re: Linux on a fat partition

It's _possible_ to use a UMSDOS file type which stores the extra information you need for stuff like access control in much the same way that VFAT stores the extra information. I don't believe that it's really recommended any more since, it says in the kernel configuration help "the disadvantage is that Linux becomes susceptible to DOS viruses and that UMSDOS is somewhat slower than ext2fs". It also talks about needing a file called "umssync" and I'm not sure if Red Hat provide this (at least it's not on this machine I've got here). There's more information in /usr/src/linux*/Documentation/Configure.help (you need kernel-source installed), just search for "CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS".

I'm not at all sure how you would go about installing on a FAT32 partition without cooperation from anaconda.

I'm curious though why are shy of having two partitions. My laptop (here) has WinXP on one partition and Linux on another (well, another three :-) My home machine has two lots of Windows 2000 and Linux all on separate paritions. My children's two PCs dual boot. My mail server used to dual boot. In fact, almost every PC I've ever had has dual booted with separate paritions for windows (everything from 95 onwards) and Linux and I've never yet had any problems with any of them.

jch