Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

Jesse Keating wrote:
surrounding them. Until these legal issues get resolved, then you won't see these applications in RH. It's really simple. Bitching about how popular
<snip>
applications (that I can add on my own, thus eliminating the RH legal risk) than have a distro that may be sued at any given time.

I would currently argue that legal action is planned buy the owners of MP3 (who is that now?). They know this issue exists, yet the refuse to clarify the situation. If they would issue a simple statemnet like:
"You can use this code in a free decoder. Such free decoder can also be part of a collection that is sold as long as the decoder is not the primary use of such collections."

The fact that they haven't, tell's me they plan to sueor want to keep their option to do so open. That reason enough for me to not use it. So I don't download MP3 files. If it's something I want, I ask for it in ogg-vorbis or some other format (like Real Media) that is not in a legal tangle (at least I know the RM is not free and Real isn't claiming that it sort of is!).

-Thomas