Re: UDF format ? (was Re: CD-RW blues help)

> On June 1, 2003 02:44 am, Andrew Smith shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> The point I meant to make (but didn't do very well) was that
>> RedHat9 - out of the box - will now use a DVD-RAM drive with
>> a UDF formatted DVD-RAM disk just like a HDD.
>> I follow this to also mean that you should be able to get any
>> other rewitable drive to work with UDF as a mounted partiton
>> as long as the media is correct for the drive.
>>
>> I'm using my DVD-RAM disks as rsync backups of important data.
>
> I *think* I'm beginning to understand, but one more thing (please bear
> with me...): Are you using these in a DVD-W drive, DVD-R drive,
> or just your regular CD-RW drive. Also, did you format the disk
> yourself, or was it *bought* pre-formatted?
>
> (... j'y pense, donc je suis ... plus or moins!!!)
>
> Elton

None of the above. I have a DVD-RAM drive:
"Toshiba SD-W1101 DVD-RAM"
All DVD-RAM discs (as far as I know) are cartridges.
So you have to have a DVD-RAM drive to write OR read them.
The cool thing about this (and I guess most) DVD-RAM drives
is that you can put either a DVD-RAM cartridge or a CD
in it - the drawer mechanism allows either.
But - it won't read CD/RW's :-(
I also have a CD/RW drive in the same box though.

The DVD-RAM drive can read: CDROM, CDR, DVD-RAM, DVD-ROM
and can ONLY write: DVD-RAM
(I don't know if ir can read DVD-R DVD+R DVD-RW DVD+RW
coz I don't have any)

My CD/RW drive (like any other CD/RW) can ONLY read:
CDROM, CDR & CD/RW and can ONLY write CDR and CD/RW

Hope that clears it all up.

However, as I said in another email, UDF doesn't seem
to work on CDRW drives yet even though I thought it might :-(
I tried and failed even with some extra software to try and
format the CD/RW

Using the sorceforge software I can format the DVD-RAM
discs (as per earlier email)

--
-Cheers
-Andrew

MS ... if only he hadn't been hang gliding!