Programming Blind In Red Hat Linux

I'm currently taking a 4-day C++ class. I sit next to a blind student.
After a couple sessions of repeating code snippets to him orally I see
that for him, learning C++ is going to be a difficult challenge. I have
yet to see him type a single character of code. While I believe he needs
to kick start himself a bit more, I can't blame him for not coding. All
the instructional materials, and the instructor's approach, are geared
to those students with 2 functional eyes, 2 functional hands, and 2
functional ears.

I think he can do it with something more...something better. Just what
that something is defies definition. Certainly it is not the miserably
ineffective JAWS software he works with.

The class is using Microsoft Windows XP and Visual Studio .NET 2002.

Can Red Hat Linux provide that 'something extra'? How can I get a bash
shell to work for him -- is there any software that can convert standard
input to speech?

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA