Re: Programming Blind In Red Hat Linux

Hello Robert,

Thursday, July 10, 2003, 12:57:02 AM, you textually orated:

RLC> I'm currently taking a 4-day C++ class. I sit next to a blind student.
RLC> After a couple sessions of repeating code snippets to him orally I see
RLC> that for him, learning C++ is going to be a difficult challenge. I have
RLC> yet to see him type a single character of code. While I believe he needs
RLC> to kick start himself a bit more, I can't blame him for not coding. All
RLC> the instructional materials, and the instructor's approach, are geared
RLC> to those students with 2 functional eyes, 2 functional hands, and 2
RLC> functional ears.

RLC> I think he can do it with something more...something better. Just what
RLC> that something is defies definition. Certainly it is not the miserably
RLC> ineffective JAWS software he works with.

RLC> The class is using Microsoft Windows XP and Visual Studio .NET 2002.

RLC> Can Red Hat Linux provide that 'something extra'? How can I get a bash
RLC> shell to work for him -- is there any software that can convert standard
RLC> input to speech?

I did play with Emacsspeak a while ago and found it really cool. Of course
my opinion on that matters little since I can see, but there are many people
who seem to recommend it.

Red Hat does seem to be at least involved (or used to be) with the BLinux
project and it might be a good place to start finding out if there is a
complete solution.
Go here for more info...
http://leb.net/blinux/

You may also want to hit Google.