Re: Programming Blind In Red Hat Linux

On Wed, 10 Jul 2003, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> I'm currently taking a 4-day C++ class. I sit next to a blind student.
> After a couple sessions of repeating code snippets to him orally I see
> that for him, learning C++ is going to be a difficult challenge. I have
> yet to see him type a single character of code. While I believe he needs
> to kick start himself a bit more, I can't blame him for not coding. All
> the instructional materials, and the instructor's approach, are geared
> to those students with 2 functional eyes, 2 functional hands, and 2
> functional ears.
>
> I think he can do it with something more...something better. Just what
> that something is defies definition. Certainly it is not the miserably
> ineffective JAWS software he works with.
>
> The class is using Microsoft Windows XP and Visual Studio .NET 2002.
>
> Can Red Hat Linux provide that 'something extra'? How can I get a bash
> shell to work for him -- is there any software that can convert standard
> input to speech?
>
> Thanks
Hi, Bob,

     Sorry it took so long for me to reply.  If he has a hardware speech
synthesizer, than Speakup should do the trick.  http://linux-speakup.org/
If he can get RH9 installed via telnet or by having someone read the
screen for the installation process, he can grab Current RH9 RPMS from
ftp://linux-speakup.org/pub/speakup/disks/redhat/9/RPMS The files with spk
in them have Speakup compiled into the kernel.  The ones with SPK2 in
their names have a newer modular version of Speakup.  If I can be of
further help, call me at the number at the top of all my messages.  BTW, I
think we have some C++ programmers in the group.  I know for sure that we
have lots of C programmers.
          HTH and 73.

 --
Bill in Denver