Re: About Xdefaults/xresources

"Steven W. Orr" <steveo@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Clients that are gnome or kde should use their own system for
> initializatiom. Other clients that are strictly X stuff should continue to
> have their resources set the old way. But consistent with the old way is
> to not use the .Xdefaults file. Instead, set your XFILESEARCHPATH and
> XUSERFILESEARCHPATH variables which would get loaded at client startup
> time instead of at X server startup time.

Thanks for the tips... How old is the old way you describe above?

I'm relatively new on the computer scene, having grappled with my
first mouse starting on my 50th birthday in 1996.  I started on
windows 95 and moved to linux after about 6 mnths.
My first version of redhat was 4.1.  I believe it came with a stock
.Xdefaults.

What is the advantage of using
   XFILESEARCHPATH / XUSERFILESEARCHPATH

Simply that one gets to put .Xdefaults or similar at the end of those
paths?  Or does the rc file at the end of those values look
different/have different syntax?