Re: About Xdefaults/xresources

On Monday, Jul 7th 2003 at 10:59 -0700, quoth Harry Putnam:

=>
=>Its been a few versions now since we would get a default .Xdefaults
=>~/.   I've just been bringing along an old and much revised on for
=>quite a long time now.
=>
=>I wondered why we don't get an .Xdefaults anymore, and if all that sort
=>of stuff is expected to be handled by one of the heavyweight wm?
=>
=>If its just a user choice then I wondered if there is any reason to
=>not continue using my ancient .Xdefaults?  Any reason to change to
=>~/.xresources, for example.

Clients that are gnome or kde should use their own system for
initializatiom. Other clients that are strictly X stuff should continue to
have their resources set the old way. But consistent with the old way is
to not use the .Xdefaults file. Instead, set your XFILESEARCHPATH and
XUSERFILESEARCHPATH variables which would get loaded at client startup
time instead of at X server startup time.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net