Re: About Xdefaults/xresources

Around about 08/07/2003 08:00, Harry Putnam typed ...
What is the advantage of using XFILESEARCHPATH / XUSERFILESEARCHPATH

Simply that one gets to put .Xdefaults or similar at the end of those
paths?  Or does the rc file at the end of those values look
different/have different syntax?

I never found they worked properly under Solaris when I tried them, so I used (& continue to use under Linux) XAPPLRESDIR. YMMV.

The main advantage is that you get to put all your per-app. configs. (e.g., XTerm*) in a file named by that app.'s name - e.g., "XTerm". Not only is this tidier, but whenever any app. connects to the XServer the entire global defaults database is d/l'd to that client. This can get big if you stuff lots into ~/.XDefaults. This other method means that the defaults are loaded directly by the app. when it starts, not loaded & held permanently resident by the server.

I only tend to use my XTerm one nowadays.

--
[neil@xxx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@xxx ~]# ls -l .signature