Re: Ximian Desktop 2 Woes

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 19:43, Audioslave - 7M3 - Live wrote:
> Bill Anderson wrote:

> >>Microsoftish, isn't it? (sorry, couldn't resist..)
> >

> > Actually, no.
> >
> > Uninstalling something like XD2 is more than just removing packages. You
> > have to re-install the originls, AND you have to then modify
> > *Everyone's* settings that used XD2, reverting to their old settings.
> > What if upgrades have happened, or additional packages installed. There
> > is probably more than that, as well.
> >

> With the short time that I have used the ximian version of GNOME. I
> would have to say that their fonts and the general speed improvement is
> better than what is available with RHL9 and their current version of GNOME.

I agree.

> If you wanted to revert back to the RHL GNOME version. Then it would
> probably be best to remove ximian, while using another windowmanager.
> Then reinstall the GNOME from CD again.
>
> I think that red-carpet will run in different windowmanagers. I'm not
> sure that a complete removal of GNOME (ximian and RHL) would fowl up the
> red-carpet package manager or not.

RedCarpet will indeed run under any/no window manager. However, RC isn't
the problem.

Ximian outright replaces *several* GNOME/GTK packages, including
assorted libraries, including (by default) things like XChat, GAIM,
nautilus, etc.. There is also a conflict between db4 by RH, and Ximian
packages installing db1 (db4 by RH obsoletes db1 by inclusion) which can
lead to more issues.

Further, assuming the replacing of the various and sundry packages goes
well and successful, there is still the need to completely remove all
.gnom* and .gconf*as well as .nautilus and various other directories,
completely removing all user configs. An uninstall tool would need to
analyze which users ave new settings and remove, or just remove all user
settings. Neither of which is a good idea for an uninstall tool.

Of course, they *could* make their install backup the original user
files, and restore those, but dealing with the schema changes in gconf
may be too much trouble.

As far as a complete removal of gnome messing up RC, not sure either.
but there is a good chance depending on how it was built. Hmm ldd
returns:
       libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x40029000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/i686/libc.so.6 (0x42000000)

An interesting trial. Maybe I'll try it out. :)
Just because.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773