Ximian Desktop 2 Woes

The day after XD2 was released, I installed it on my up2date RH9 system.
 I marveled at the wonderful look and feel of the Gnome desktop, the
Evolution 1.4 and Mozilla 1.3.  Everything looked beautiful.

Then, day by day I found more and more things that didn't work right
anymore. It removed my Crossover Office menus from Gnome. It removed
Gimp from my KDE menu. It removed my OpenOffice.org menus from KDE. It added two non-working icons to my KDE desktop - a .desktop file for my home directory using Nautilus which refused to work, and a My Computer icon ditto. Removing them worked as long as I didn't log into Gnome again. That put them back onto the KDE desktop again.

In general, it has confused both sets of menus. It uninstalled some RHL9 programs and substituted its own versions for others, so now up2date thinks I need to reinstall them, but I expect that XD2 will not work correctly if I do.

I am now about to start over with a fresh install of RHL9 and redo all the customization that I did since installing RHL9 almost 2 months ago. I hope I remember this the next time I'm tempted by hype about Ximian desktop working with RH Linux. It may install, but it certainly is not compatible. I recall doing a similar dumb thing with RHL 7.3. You would think I would have learned.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Gerry Tool