Re: Ximian Desktop 2 Woes

Bill Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 12:11, M. Fioretti wrote:

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 12:54:54 at 12:54:54PM -0500, Gerry Tool (gstool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Robert L Cochran wrote:

I checked their web site and faqs. No uninstall feature uncovered.

Microsoftish, isn't it? (sorry, couldn't resist..)

Actually, no.

Uninstalling something like XD2 is more than just removing packages. You
have to re-install the originls, AND you have to then modify
*Everyone's* settings that used XD2, reverting to their old settings.
What if upgrades have happened, or additional packages installed. There
is probably more than that, as well.

With the short time that I have used the ximian version of GNOME. I would have to say that their fonts and the general speed improvement is better than what is available with RHL9 and their current version of GNOME.

If you wanted to revert back to the RHL GNOME version. Then it would probably be best to remove ximian, while using another windowmanager. Then reinstall the GNOME from CD again.

I think that red-carpet will run in different windowmanagers. I'm not sure that a complete removal of GNOME (ximian and RHL) would fowl up the red-carpet package manager or not.

Jim

Still on the 233 MHz Toshiba

--
QOTD:
	"I used to be an idealist, but I got mugged by reality."