Intermittent issues logging out/rebooting/shutting down

Hello, Everyone :)
If anyone else has had this issue, and has fixed it, I'd love to know
how.  If you haven't fixed it, but can give me some clue about what I
can send you tha will help you track this down, I'd love to be of
service to you.

Here's the problem: sometimes (not all the time), when I either log out,
reboot or shutdown (from the GUI, not from a terminal window), I'll hit
the ok or yes button to signify that I do want to log out, reboot or
shutdown.  But instead of doing what I ask, the monitor goes blank (with
absolutely no warning or error messages) and the green light by the
power switch changes color to the color that it becomes when it has no
signal going into it.  At this point, all I can do it hit the reset
button and reboot.  But when I do, it always says that I shut down
uncleanly.  (I am running ext3, and I am glad that I do, because I can
just imagine all the wasted time I would have had with this problem if I
had been running a non-journalling filesystem :))

I have also discovered, that I think that I have had almost perfect
success rebooting and shutting down when I do "reboot" or "halt" from
the command line.

A few pertinent details about my system: I have an MSI KT4V mainboard,
based on the VIA KT400 chipset.  AMD Athlon XP 2100+ processor.  ATI
Radeon 7000 video card.  I did a fresh install of Red Hat 9, and I
installed every package (between 1390 - 1400 packages)  I have all of
the official updates installed, and I have upgraded or added nothing
that I think would have any affect on this issue.  In
/etc/sysconfig/desktop, I have the following:
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
DESKTOP="KDE"
And my monitor is a Viewsonic E70 (Dectected as E70-5)

One more thing: I have never seen Red Hat do this before, and I've used
Red Hat 7, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 8, and now 9.
I used Red Hat 8 on my old computer, and the new one that I described to
you in the previous paragraph, and I have never seen anything like this
before.  I've done a few full reinstalls of Red Hat 9 since I got it,
just to see if the problem will go away, and it doesn't.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.  And any thing I
can do for you to dianose this problem even more accurately, please let
me know and I'll be glad to oblige :)

One more thing.  The "Intermittent" part comes in because sometimes Red
Hat 9 will log out/reboot/halt correctly even from a gui.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
Steven P. Ulrick