Re: Intermittent issues logging out/rebooting/shutting down

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> Hello, Everyone :)
> If anyone else has had this issue, and has fixed it, I'd love to know
> how.  If you haven't fixed it, but can give me some clue about what I
> can send you tha will help you track this down, I'd love to be of
> service to you.
>
> Here's the problem: sometimes (not all the time), when I either log out,
> reboot or shutdown (from the GUI, not from a terminal window), I'll hit
> the ok or yes button to signify that I do want to log out, reboot or
> shutdown.  But instead of doing what I ask, the monitor goes blank (with
> absolutely no warning or error messages) and the green light by the
> power switch changes color to the color that it becomes when it has no
> signal going into it.  At this point, all I can do it hit the reset
> button and reboot.  But when I do, it always says that I shut down
> uncleanly.  (I am running ext3, and I am glad that I do, because I can
> just imagine all the wasted time I would have had with this problem if I
> had been running a non-journalling filesystem :))

I don't know about fixing this, but at the very least, you might try:

	Ctrl-Alt-F1	(switch to virtual console)
	Ctrl-Alt-Del	(reboot)

instead of the reset button.  You can attempt this "blind", even if
nothing shows on the monitor.  If only the display is gone, this should
start a proper reboot, unlike the reset button.  If the entire machine is
locked and if you have another machine on the net, try to ssh to your
machine and shut it down gracefully.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences