Re: apache authentication

On 4/29/2003 at 10:19 AM David Lupo wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 01:56:30PM -0400, Shane C Branch wrote:
>> I need to configure apache with some sort of user authentication, so
>that the
>> web site it will serve can be accessed only by a specified group. I have
>read
>> through the apache documentation, but I don't quite see how to do this
>in the
>> exact manner that I would prefer.
>>
>> Basically, I need the website to be password protected, and I want
>apache to
>> authenticate users with the same username/password information that
>> authenticates user log on in general. In other words, I want to have a
>common
>> system password and apache password for each user.
>>
>> So far, it seems that I can have group or user authentication, but it
>looks
>> like apache wants a set of these files for itself. I don't have any
>desire to
>> maintain a password/group file for 100+ users. I heard that there might
>be a
>> module that allows one to do this, but I haven't had any luck locating
>any
>> information on that.
>>

>Try the apache PAM authentication module:
>
>http://pam.sourceforge.net/mod_auth_pam/
>
>You can configure it to use the same users/passwords that are used for
>login.
>If you use shadow passwords, be sure to read the note on that in the FAQ.
>
>--
>David Lupo <del@xxxxxxxxxx>

Do you have any experience with mod_auth_sys? I found that module, but it's not
quite clear to me how to use it. the mod_auth_sys.c file show up in green,
which indicates executable code. The other modules in the apache source modules
directory are not code this way.

Also, the instructions say the module is called by adding Module
sys_auth_module     mod_auth_sys.o to the config file. Is the mod_auth_sys.o
file going to be generated during the apache build process? Otherwise, how will
that line work?

Finally, where do I find the name to pass the the --enable command? The readme
mentioned some string located in the .c files for each module, but I can't seem
to find it.

regards,

shane.