Re: apache authentication

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 11:00:39AM -0400, Shane C Branch wrote:
> Do you have any experience with mod_auth_sys? I found that module, but it's not
> quite clear to me how to use it. the mod_auth_sys.c file show up in green,
> which indicates executable code. The other modules in the apache source modules
> directory are not code this way.
>
> Also, the instructions say the module is called by adding Module
> sys_auth_module     mod_auth_sys.o to the config file. Is the mod_auth_sys.o
> file going to be generated during the apache build process? Otherwise, how will
> that line work?

I have not used mod_auth_sys.  Whichever module you use, you'll need to compile
it to produce a .o file.  I grabbed a source RPM for mod_auth_pam from
rpmfind.net and used that (with minor modifications to the spec file) to build
a mod_auth_pam RPM.  The RPM I found was a Mandrake RPM, so it put the PAM config
in /etc/pam.d/httpd rather than in /etc/pam.d/apacheconf.

Basically, you build the .o file, get it installed in the lib directory with the
other modules, set up the httpd.conf file to use the module, and put something
along the lines of
  auth       required    pam_unix.so debug
  account    required    pam_unix.so debug
  session    required    pam_unix.so debug
in the /etc/httpd/apacheconf file.