apache authentication

I need to configure apache with some sort of user authentication, so that the
web site it will serve can be accessed only by a specified group. I have read
through the apache documentation, but I don't quite see how to do this in the
exact manner that I would prefer.

Basically, I need the website to be password protected, and I want apache to
authenticate users with the same username/password information that
authenticates user log on in general. In other words, I want to have a common
system password and apache password for each user.

So far, it seems that I can have group or user authentication, but it looks
like apache wants a set of these files for itself. I don't have any desire to
maintain a password/group file for 100+ users. I heard that there might be a
module that allows one to do this, but I haven't had any luck locating any
information on that.

What is the best way to accomplish this task?

regards,

shane.