Sharing up2date downloads.

I tried the same thing.  The problem is that up2date wants to delete the
files once it's done.  I assume it locks the files it's using.
Unfortunately, the easiest solution I've found is to start up2date, let
it finish downloading, then just save the files, say on CD, and manually
copy them to each system I want to update.  Then up2date just says
"already downloaded".  The problems with this include that it's still a
little extra work, and all systems need internet access.

Another possible solution is to tell each system to rpm -ivh --force
--nodeps *.rpm.  That way it won't try to delete the files.  (Note the
nodeps.  It seems as though RPM doesn't take into account new versions
of glibc that may be in the batch of files you want to update.  Either
update glibc first and then install everything else, or do --nodeps and
assume that everything falls into place when done...it should.)  In
fact, it should be pretty easy to write a script that downloads RPMs
from your server, even checks MD5s, and then installs them.
Unfortunately, unless you come up with a way to test whether you have
that exact version already installed, you will have to install
everything each time.  I'm sure a litte bit of programming can do it.

-Benjamin Vander Jagt

p.s.  Thanks to Linux, I keep wanting to sign off
"--Benjamin-Vander-Jagt"

(From Richard)

The instalation here was a bit changed now i have a gateway/firewall
dedicated amchine with some servers on it. It occured to me that if
i had both machines use the same downloaded files in /var/spool/up2date
i would save download time and save some bandwidth on the RH server.

In order to accomplish this efficiently, since when i update one machine
the
other will also get updated in the same session , i tried NFS  but seems
like
" cross mounting " directories is somehow not working .

i export /var/spool/up2date from machines  a and  b
i mount ( through fstab ) the exports to /var/spool/up2date

First machine mounts but when i try to mount the second machine i got
permission denied.With both having the same configuration.

a ) am i using the  right tool to accomplish this ?

b ) what am i missing ?    ( apart from a brain ..of course .. ; )

Ric