Re: empty "Start Here" folder!! Important Note on Menu Editing

On 23 Apr 2003 22:22:45 -0700
Michael Knepher <limbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have to step on the soapbox to give a few warnings about this.
Havoc Pennington stepped in,  now ,i feel i must.
First this is dangerous.Kind of...Several people close
to me have reported that they lost all content of the menus
temporarily. Second it breaks other functionality from the Start-Here
button. the closest i gotto have this fixed is by
editing the new default-modules.conf like in the post but in the following way

A) Save default-modules.conf as something else as backup
( i kept it as a .back and as a .old to make sure , yes im careful :)

B) Rename the file with menu editing to default-modules.conf

B) In /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/default-modules.conf

modify the lines in the  # vfolder desktop method section to look like

start-here:             libdesktop.so
system-settings:        libdesktop.so
server-settings:        libdesktop.so

Even then when you use the Start Here button on the desktop the
System Settings section in the nautilus screen dont work anymore.
So it works , kind of , and you should know that it breaks that part
at least ( Debatable since all in there is still accessible from the menus
on the panel ) and that you should be careful.
I repeat several people have told me this wiped the menu content
until they logged out then back in .
I did try all kinds of combinations to get that functionality back
but since im no programmer, the rest i have no idea how to fix : )

Have fun

Richard Hebert