Re: Text garbage in terminal window - Radeon 7500

Atul Chitnis wrote:
I run RHL9 on an IBM Thinkpad T30 that uses the ATI Radeon Mobility 7500.

Under KDE (not sure whether under Gnome, since I don't use it), I often
have situations where an application (say pine) clears the screen of the
Konsole window, but leaves behind scattered characters across the terminal
window. It then paints the terminal window with new information, with
these characters intermingled.

If I now do something to cause the window to be redrawn (by dragging the window offscreen, or changing virtual desktops back and forth), the garbage disappears, leaving behind the legit data in the window.

This seems to be specific to the Radeon, since it doesn't happen on other machines I use (with 845, Matrox G200, etc. displays).

Any clues on how to fix this?

Also (possibly related) - when I am on battery power, the screen often blanks out (under APM, I think), and then I can't get the display back unless I suspend and unsuspend.

Atul

I've had this same problem since phoebe2. I live with it and just type clear, then press enter.

I'm happy with mc being fixed functionally.

If this bothers you a lot, using xterm doesn't seem to put the prompt about two lines down from the top of the gnome-terminal. I assume that konsole has the similar problem.

A bug report might be good to file. The problem, to me, seems to be that pine and mc do not get the information needed for relocating the true propmt position. It seems to newline, then put the prompt within the screen mess.

Jim C.

--
A good reputation is more valuable than money.
		-- Publilius Syrus