Re: Understanding freetype packaging

At 02:02 PM 4/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 12:09, Christopher Wong wrote:
> Why am I even bothering with this? Hint: Red Hat's freetype is crippled.
> TrueType fonts look much better -- with or without antialiasing -- when
> bytecode interpretation is turned on. I know the usual explanation: patent
> question, CYA, yadda, yadda.

You're making life difficult on yourself.  Just download the freetype
SRPM, install it with rpm -i, and turn on the bytecode interpreter with
a simple change to the spec file.  (I'm pretty sure it's the very first
thing in the spec file, something like %define
without_bytecode_interpreter).  Then just rebuild from the spec file
(rpmbuild -bb freetype.spec) .  No need to bother with the freetype
source tarball, which as you point out does things somewhat differently
than the Red Hat SRPM.

Do we know why Red Hat does it this way in the binary RPM? And what change is required to enable it? Change "without" to "with", or comment out the line, or what?

Thanks,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx