Re: Understanding freetype packaging

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 12:09, Christopher Wong wrote:
> I just downloaded the source tarball for freetype 2.1.3 and rebuilt it.
> This is the same version as the RPM binary package that comes from Red
> Hat. I'm puzzled at Red Hat's packaging. As built from source, freetype
> only builds libfreetype*. But the RPM also has libttf.whatever and a
> libfreetype.so.6.2.0 which is not built by the source tarball. Anybody
> know what's going on?
>
> Why am I even bothering with this? Hint: Red Hat's freetype is crippled.
> TrueType fonts look much better -- with or without antialiasing -- when
> bytecode interpretation is turned on. I know the usual explanation: patent
> question, CYA, yadda, yadda.

You're making life difficult on yourself.  Just download the freetype
SRPM, install it with rpm -i, and turn on the bytecode interpreter with
a simple change to the spec file.  (I'm pretty sure it's the very first
thing in the spec file, something like %define
without_bytecode_interpreter).  Then just rebuild from the spec file
(rpmbuild -bb freetype.spec) .  No need to bother with the freetype
source tarball, which as you point out does things somewhat differently
than the Red Hat SRPM.

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp@xxxxxxxxx       trilug.org/~jeremy     |