Understanding freetype packaging

I just downloaded the source tarball for freetype 2.1.3 and rebuilt it.
This is the same version as the RPM binary package that comes from Red
Hat. I'm puzzled at Red Hat's packaging. As built from source, freetype
only builds libfreetype*. But the RPM also has libttf.whatever and a
libfreetype.so.6.2.0 which is not built by the source tarball. Anybody
know what's going on?

Why am I even bothering with this? Hint: Red Hat's freetype is crippled.
TrueType fonts look much better -- with or without antialiasing -- when
bytecode interpretation is turned on. I know the usual explanation: patent
question, CYA, yadda, yadda. But that does not explain why freetype comes
with bytecode interpretation turned off but xfs/libXfont has bytecode
interpretation turned on.

Chris