Re: ATHLON & Shrike - *imperfect* alliance=random lockups?

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 15:15, Elton Woo wrote:
> I'm running an Athlon Thunderbird 1.0, and seem to get random lockups
> of the system. Among other things, the ability to logout or shutdown
> from withing Nautilus (I still can't *reboot* from within my user account).

I have the same CPU at work with a Tyan motherboard. No problems here.

> Usually, I can logout or shutdown from within Nautilus, at other times,
> I would select logout, and have the screen just sit there with no action
> for 5 minutes or more.
>
> I have the latest updates from RHN installed, including
> kernel-2.4.20-9. I have noticed that when booting, Shrike reports
> booting "kernel for i686". Shouldn't up2date have applied an
> athlon kernel? ... perhaps this is the problem

I noticed the same thing.  Thanks rpm ---replacepkgs.

> It appears, though, that I am not the only one with an athlon system
> who is reporting odd behavoir. I wonder if it is an incompatibility with
> Shrike and AMD Athlons in general?

I have two dual-proc AMD boxes at home running 24/7, plus another
1.16Ghz Thunderbird at home for the wife all running Shrike. I have
noticed no unusual problems.

Other than my dual Athlon boxes lost the ability to power-off
automatically at shutdown (had been fixed in rawhide, broken on Shrike),
it's been smooth sailing.

Note that all installs were fresh installs.

--chris

--
Homepage: http://interclypse.net
Registered Linux user #215241 (http://counter.li.org/)