Re: More bugs in 9 than 8.1-3? Samba DoS, Mozilla, Prelink problems

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 18:35, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> >> There was never an "8.1 beta".  Go back and look at any Red Hat
> >> beta release and you will not find any beta that says it is "8.1
> >> beta".  Our beta releases have not ever been called what the
> >> final release of the product will be plus the word beta.  For
> >> example, what became 8.0, was not "8.0 beta", it was several
> >> beta releases numbered 7.3.9x where x was an internal build
> >> number of that beta release, which generally varies from 0 to 5
> >> roughly.  The betas for Red Hat Linux 7.1 were 7.0.9x, the betas
> >> for 7.2 were 7.1.9x, the betas for 7.3 were 7.2.9x, the betas for
> >> 8.0 were 7.3.9x, and the betas for 9 were 8.0.9x.  There was
> >> never an 8.1 beta.
> >>
> >> The only "8.1" is that which was invented by various users out
> >> there in their own minds as to what the next Red Hat Linux
> >> release would be called based on some historical precedence.  For
> >
> >Not completely true, Mike. In March there was a posting at RedHat.com
> >for a support person. It specifically said it was for a position that
> >would include  "during the release of Red Hat Linux 8.1". :^) I haven't
> >looked since March though.
>
> No it is definitely true, and there's no question about it.
> Internal people in the company are just as susceptible of making
> mistakes as are people outside of the company, and if someone
> does make such a mistake, such as our German website mistakenly
> presenting "Red Hat Linux 9.0" on the website in a few locations,
> that constitutes a human error, and not a "truth".

No offense Mike, but that is *not* "various users *out there* in their
own minds" (emphasis mine), that is a posting from RH, which the rest of
us take as amazingly, from RH. If the people *at* RH expect the next
release to be 8.1 it seems a bit rude to me to go off on users "out
there" doing the same.

Further, it *more* than just "historical precedence", it was official
policy when I took my RHCE exam was last year that the release sequence
was a float based number, not integer releases. Otherwise, there would
have been no need to update the policy for RHCEs.

The only "truth" I was addressing was your claim that it was an
invention of "users out there" in "their own minds".  I drew mine from
both the posting at RH, *and* the policy as stated when I took my RHCE.
That is far from "in my own mind". That's all I was saying.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773