Re: cups and samba

On Sunday 20 April 2003 12:01 am, Darren wrote:

> Anyone out there that can tell me what I have to do to get samba to
> print via cups?  I have been digging on the samba site and I'm
> finding no answers.  I tried to just use the cups server itself to
> set up printing for my wife's pc (she uses win98 part time), but
> there is a bug and it simply doesn't work.  I would be happy to get
> samba back up the way I had it in 7.3 but now I am running cups of
> course.  What needs to be in my config?  I have one HP deskjet
> printer.  I usually set up two spools to apear as two printers to the
> win clients.  The reason is that I set different resolutions for the
> driver for printing pictures and for other stuff.  How do I get that
> back with cups and samba?  The printers show up but the jobs go to
> the bit bucket. . .what have I got wrong?

This may not be a samba problem.

I checked /var/log/cups/error_log and found this when I tried to print
from a machine using samba:

print_job: Unsupported format 'application/octet-stream'!
Hint: Do you have the raw file printing rules enabled?

Near the bottom of /etc/cups/mime.types find and uncomment the line as
below:

#
# Raw print file support...
#
# Uncomment the following type and the application/octet-stream
# filter line in mime.convs to allow raw file printing without the
# -oraw option.
#

application/octet-stream

#
# End of "$Id: mime.types,v 1.25 2002/11/24 22:32:01 mike Exp $".

Then in /etc/cups/mime.convs find and uncomment as shown:

#
# Raw filter...
#
# Uncomment the following filter and the application/octet-stream type
# in mime.types to allow printing of arbitrary files without the -oraw
# option.
#

application/octet-stream	application/vnd.cups-raw	0	-

#
# End of "$Id: mime.convs,v 1.17 2002/08/09 00:00:54 mike Exp $".

restart cups

Worked for me.  Good luck!

Doug