Re: cups and samba

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Darren R. Weber wrote:

> Anyone out there that can tell me what I have to do to get samba to
> print via cups?  I have been digging on the samba site and I'm finding
> no answers.  I tried to just use the cups server itself to set up
> printing for my wife's pc (she uses win98 part time), but there is a bug
> and it simply doesn't work.  I would be happy to get samba back up the
> way I had it in 7.3 but now I am running cups of course.  What needs to
> be in my config?  I have one HP deskjet printer.  I usually set up two
> spools to apear as two printers to the win clients.  The reason is that
> I set different resolutions for the driver for printing pictures and for
> other stuff.  How do I get that back with cups and samba?  The printers
> show up but the jobs go to the bit bucket. . .what have I got wrong?
>
> -Darren

There are pretty good docs to be found on the Web; search google for cups
and samba.

I've only tried the setup where the native driver is installed on the
Windows client, and I've only managed to get it working using the Adobe
generic PostScript driver.  I doubt that your DeskJet will work with that,
though.  You may need to follow some more involved instructions to provide
the driver to the client through samba.

I had to change /etc/samba/smb.conf as follows:

printcap name = cups
printing = cups
print command = lpr-cups -P%p -o raw %s -r # use client-side printer drivers

That last line wasn't mentioned in the Samba docs, I found it someplace
else on the Web.  And I added it while trying several things in a not very
systematic way, so I don't know if it's really necessary.  I haven't tried
without it.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences