OpenLDAP/nss_ldap Weirdness

Hi all.

I am using OpenLDAP from shrike as an LDAP Server for my network. All User/Group information is stored in the directory.

Here is the problem:

After a seemingly random period of time, the machine running OpenLDAP refuses to accept any more connections, hence user/group lookups for the entire network fail. The machine in question has been up for 8 days, and this has occured 3 or 4 times during that period. Looking in the logs on that machine i see:

Apr 21 08:40:23 server slapd[29945]: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files

I ran netstat on the same machine, which revealed THOUSANDS of LDAP connections in various states (All consuming file descriptors - Hence the "Too many open files" error). Restarting OpenLDAP remedies this, ableit temorarily.

On one of the client machines (also running shrike) i did this:

# netstat | grep ldap | wc -l
  2154

This tells me the client has in the order of 2000 connections to the LDAP server. Some were in state CLOSE_WAIT or other states so this number possibly is not 100% accurate.

On a client 8.0 machine, I finger/id some users who exist only in the directory. Running netstat on the server showed that the 8.0 machine had no lingering/remaining connections whatsoever.

Perfrorming a similar test on a 9.0 Shrike machine, netstat shows several lingering/remaining connections.

I am still investigating this issue. An almost identical set up, using 8.0 and a P166/64Meg box (The current machine has slightly higher specs), never had any such problems. I will likely revert to this configuration for the mean time.

Meanwhile, has anyone encountered anything like this? Anyone shed any light?

Cheers,

Dan