Re: email server and client configuration

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 18:42, matt-whiteley@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Not sure the best way to do what I want.  I currently have evolution check email
> on two pop3 accounts and two imap accounts.  Since I have dyndns set up so that
> I can get to my box from out in the world, I would like to use mail at the
> hostname I have set up.

Yeah, that's what i do. I suck all my email, from various sources, into
my own server. So this way i have only one inbox. All processing is done
on that one.

> I would like to run an webmail program so that I can
> logon and check all of my email accounts from one place.  Right now I have to

IMP, Squirrelmail...

I'm currently using IMP (together with the Horde foundation and the
Turba address book, and a MySQL backend for settings and contacts)
because Squirrelmail does not have a POP3 client. Once i switch from
POP3 to IMAP, i'll probably try Squirrel and see how it compares to
Horde/IMP/Turba.

http://www.horde.org/
http://www.horde.org/imp/
http://www.horde.org/turba/

(Squirrel is included with RH, so i won't provide a link)

> check 4 webmail accounts.  Do I need to setup sendmail/postfix, and fetchmail?

Yeah, that's what i do. I setup Postfix on my system, and use various
"mail suckers" to get the e-mail into that one.
fetchmail is one of them. There are others too (POP3 proxies, etc).

I've heard about mail suckers that are designed to get email from large
and popular webmail services which do not offer POP3 access to your
inbox. Not sure about the legality of that thing, so i do not endorse or
recommend that solution in any case whatsoever.
A quick search on the Internet will reveal many such things, but you'll
have to decide for yourself whether or not you can/want/must use them.
My decision (don't use providers which do not give you standard/open
protocols access to the inbox) is probably the simplest one (in addition
to having a "hardcore opensource idealist" tinge all over it :-D).

I currently access this unique inbox via POP3, from Evolution and IMP. I
plan to switch to IMAP soon.

> Can I have the mail filtered into folders that will show in both evolution
> locally and squirrelmail remotely?

I'm currently experimenting with Cyrus imapd, which i've heard (not sure
about it, i'm still reading the docs, but that's how the rumour goes) it
lets you do precisely what you (and me) want: filter messages into
folders on the server side, not on the client side, using the Sieve mail
filtering language.
Like you, i'd like to have one imap account, perform filtering on the
server, and view the same folders structure from any user interface i
like (Evolution, webmail...). Cyrus seems like the perfect solution for
that.

Cyrus official website, RPM packages for Red Hat (you may need to
rebuild the src.rpm if you're using RH 9):

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/
http://home.teleport.ch/simix/

Being designed for extremely large email services, with scalability and
performance in mind, Cyrus is difficult to configure. You need to spend
some time with the documentation. _Do_not_ jump directly to
implementation, you'll get yourself into trouble. Read the docs first
and understand the basic features. It's rather different from other
imap/pop servers in quite a few details.
OTOH, it has some cool features, such as you can define users in Cyrus
only, which are not system users, etc. There's also a web interface to
administer it, but i never used it (yet).

I'm still experimenting with it. Once i figure out how to do mail
filtering server-side, and once i figure out how to suck my existing,
multi-gigabyte Evolution mail folder into Cyrus, i'll switch over.

Cyrus may be a worthy alternative to the old UW imapd, especially if you
need high-performance email service.

> Will I be able to send mail from any of the
> accounts through the webmail interface?

yes, provided that you suck all your email into a single inbox

OTOH, some webmailers (certainly IMP, probably Squirrelmail too but i
never used it) let you choose your imap or pop3 server from a list, when
you login. You can do it that way, if you prefer to not aggregate all
your email in one place. But that requires permanent POP/IMAP access to
those providers, which may not be always possible.

Having one central place for all email is a big advantage in some
scenarios. It certainly is in my case. Maybe it is too in yours, i don't
know.

> I am hoping to use spamassassin on this
> group of accounts also.

I'm using SpamAssassin on my Postfix mail server, to filter all incoming
messages before they reach my mailbox. Works outstandingly well.
I'm using the most recent version from spamassassin.org, not the version
provided with RH 8.0 (that's my server now), which is kinda outdated. I
just rebuild the src.rpm and it works.

--
Florin Andrei

"You can't go to Windows Update
and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick