Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:27:34AM -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> >><aside>
> >>I'm still not sure why cheapbytes had to modify the set. It's the same
> >>as the downloadable version. If it was a LUG selling it for the same
> >>price, $7 for the 3 binary CDs, $13 for all 6 CDs, it'd be fine. The
> >>reuse requirement of eductional/not-for-profit doesn't make sense.
> >
> > 	If I remember right this was due to legal licensing issues.

> Well, the "reason" was the Red Hat restritions on TRADEMARK use.
>
> Buy I mene, why Red Hat implemented it that way, condidering the
> benifits the old method had. They even made CheapBytes change the
> RHL-7.2 listing to Linux x86 CPU Version 7.2.
> <http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010722.html>
>
> IO couldn't find 7.0 anywhere, the they still have the RHL-6.2 Sparc
> release, but changed it to Linux Version 6.2 Sparc. An the S/390 version
> of RHL-7.1 is now ThinkBlue S/390 Linux 7.1a
>
> Notice, Mandrake, SuSE, Caldera, and Debian are used without changes,
> but Red Hat was removed from every listing other than the Red Hat boxed
> sets.

I didn't do a comprehensive search, but I see that CheapBytes hasn't had a
full SuSe version for all of the 8.x.  So if you want it, you FTP or you buy
the boxed set.

I think all the distros are seeking a means of distribution that will keep
their income at a level to match the resources put into their support...

-Michael

--
A billion seconds ago Harry Truman was president.
A billion minutes ago was just after the time of Christ.